• Twitter
  • Facebook
  • Google+
  • RSS Feed

17 March 2014

Emergency Couple Midway Check-In

0 comments
 
Credit: E News and DramaFever

Ok, this is a little bit past midway now, but time just seems to fly and before I knew it, we were at episode 14 and 15, aka 3/4 of the way into this 20 episode drama.

I gotta say I am loving this drama, which should come as no surprise given the fact that I loved both leads already, and how perfectly the drama fits into my self-made "urban professional romantic comedy" genre that I mentioned in my DramaFever Drama Club post. Emergency Couple is a little bit I Need Romance, a little bit Grey's Anatomy. After all those dramatic rich guy/poor girl dramas involving extraordinary/unrealistic circumstances, this quiet, grown up drama about divorcees finding their way back to each other and (hopefully) falling back in love is something different and a little more genuine and complex.

I am a little concerned though, because given the fact that we are 3/4 through with the drama, only 1/2 of the couple is back in love with the other. Chang Min's feelings for Jin Hee reawakened a few episodes ago now, but Jin Hee hasn't shown any obvious signs of reciprocating. In this week's episodes, she even outwardly told him they couldn't possibly get back together because of all the old fights and family feuds that would be restarted. Something about those close shots on Jin Hee's face as she remembers all the happy and sad times tells me that her feelings aren't so simple.

I've come to really like all the characters, even the ones who seemed to be annoying in the beginning. I thought the other interns would all be super annoying, especially the married couple, but they're actually turning out to be normal - especially Ah Reum. I thought she would be another crazy 2nd female lead, but she's actually been much more likable. The biggest surprise of all is Chang Min's umma - this actress drove me absolutely crazy (in the bad way) in Heirs, and also much of the first half of Emergency Couple. When she appeared in Emergency Couple I thought I was going to rip my hair out having to watch her play a psycho mom again. But then, a miraculous thing happened...last week, I actually felt bad for her character. Any drama that can lessen my annoyance with the psycho mom in general, and this particular psycho mom, is a well-done drama indeed. Jin Ae and Kwang Soo are turning out to not only be not irritating, but quite charming.

There's a lot of ground still to cover in the remaining four episodes of the drama. Jin Hee still has to come to terms with the fact that she and Chang Min are meant to be! Also of course there are some side stories. Hopefully Ah Reum gives Yong Kyu a chance, or he gets over her and empowers himself. And hopefully Jin Ae and Kwang Soo get on their feet too. And Chun Soo and Ji Hye need to get back together too.

I'll be watching faithfully for the next two weeks, clutching my Eeyore and teddy bears puppies! Can't wait to see how this drama plays out.






No comments:

Post a Comment

 
© 2012. Design by Main-Blogger - Blogger Template and Blogging Stuff